The Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (MSFHR) is seeking an experienced and creative funding program designer to join our team.
Our ideal candidate has deep knowledge of the health research funding environment – its current challenges, opportunities and trends – in Canada and beyond. Your expertise spans the range of funding competition models, from the well-established to the emerging and innovative. You understand all elements of funding program design from conception to launch, including the critical role of robust peer and merit review processes.
Reporting to the Director, Research Programs, as Manager, Research Programs (Design & Development), you will design and develop individual funding program models with a view to an overall portfolio of programs as part of MSFHR’s strategic plan. You are passionate about enabling the conduct and application of excellent and relevant health research, are highly skilled at engaging colleagues within the broad health research community, and will fit seamlessly into, and complement, an effective, high-performing team.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Designs and develops new research funding programs in the context of an overall suite of MSFHR programs
- Recommends modifications to existing programs to ensure an overall and coherent portfolio that reflects MSFHR’s strategic plan, research trends and the BC environment
- Recommends and helps implement optimal review options for MSFHR programs
- Supports other Research Programs managers in the development and launch of competitions, targeted programs and provincial initiatives
- Engages with colleagues from the Knowledge Translation and Impact Analysis departments to ensure funding programs and related materials reflect relevant principles and best practice
- Plays a key role in the analysis of new program and project opportunities identified by MSFHR or proposed by external stakeholders
- Stays abreast of research funding trends (including peer review) and the research landscape in BC, across Canada and beyond
- Works with Director and Managers to consult with BC’s research community as needed on research program development initiatives
- Researches and prepares reports related to Research Programs work, including program model options, peer review options, environmental scans on topics including public and patient engagement, and literature reviews as necessary
Education and Work Experience:
You have a graduate degree in a health research-related discipline, and at least eight years of management experience related to research funding programs. You have a successful history of designing all aspects of funding competitions to meet program-specific as well as organizational goals. You are adept at managing cross-functional teams and interacting with health researchers and health research administrators.
If this sounds like you and you would like to play a role in maximizing the impact of health research in BC, please send your cover letter and résumé, by Friday, April 10, 2015 in confidence to: email@example.com