File number: CCS 598
Posted: May 28, 2015
Closing: June 12, 2015
Status: Contract, full time
Location: Toronto, ON
AN EXCITING OPPORTUNITY
The Senior Manager, Research Communications is a key member of the communications team. The incumbent is responsible for applying in-depth knowledge of the Canadian Cancer Society research portfolio, funded cancer researchers and progress/impact of cancer research in order to enable effective fundraising, communications and outreach across Ontario. The incumbent will produce a variety of materials for diverse audiences (both internal and external). The individual must also cultivate strong relationships within Ontario cancer research community and ensure effective stewardship of provincial research partnerships.
Primary Functional Duties
- Lead Ontario Division’s focus on research communications, including the development of communication tools, key messages, presentations, and identifying opportunities for the Division to demonstrate research impact with the media, the public, donors, and internal and external stakeholders.
- Act as a scientific advisor for mission-related activities of the Society.
- Oversee an Ontario-wide volunteer program focused on research outreach and develop strategic communication tactics to promote the program.
- Works closely with the Canadian Cancer Society Research Institute (CCSRI) staff and other departments of the Ontario Division to generate public awareness about the impact of Society-funded research.
- Works with the Society’s revenue development and marketing departments to support research communication activities.
- Manage and cultivate relationships with Society research partnerships to ensure ongoing engagement of researchers with the Society.
- Act as a Society spokesperson with the media.
- Leads new initiatives to promote and engage the scientific and research community.
- Work seamlessly with the public affairs teams — communications, advocacy and prevention – to create effective and compelling outreach initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Staff Management Responsibilities
- Creates a positive work environment which attracts and retains high calibre individuals.
- Supports the team in achieving their commitments and departmental objectives.
- Identifies developmental needs and implements tactics to reduce the gaps identified.
- Manages and mentors through ongoing coaching and development.
Fiscal Management Responsibilities
- Determine expense projections as part of the budgeting process and monitor expenditures against the plan.
Health and Safety Responsibilities
- Works in compliance with the provisions of The Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations.
- Reviews and complies with the Health and Safety Policy.
- M.Sc. or equivalent in health sciences or biological sciences preferably with experience in an academic or corporate research environment and/or in the cancer field.
- Statistical, analytical and methodological skills to assess research and funding trends.
- Experience in research communications.
- Strong understanding of cancer biology and research, health-related statistics, and oncology clinical research and health care sector.
- Excellent written, oral and editing skills with the ability to simplify and communicate complex scientific concepts for a variety of audiences and vehicles.
- Ability to work under pressure with often changing deadlines.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and initiative where required.
- Ability to interact with the general public as well as individuals in the scientific community.
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Internet Explorer, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Experience as a researcher specifically in the field of cancer an asset.
- French language proficiency an asset.
- Office environment
- Involved frequent travel off site to attend meetings
- Intermittent evening and weekend work (twice per month)
- Sits for extended periods.
- Involves significant computer use.
WHAT WE OFFER:
The Society offers meaningful opportunities to make an impact in the fight against cancer. We are committed to fostering a culture that is inspiring, supportive and exemplifies our core values:
CARING COURAGE INTEGRITY PROGRESSIVE
In return for your contributions, we offer an attractive compensation package that encompasses a competitive salary in the mid 70K range and the opportunity to have a rewarding employment experience where your contributions can make a true difference every day.
Please quote file number: CCS 598
Qualified non-smokers are invited to send their resume and cover letter, quoting the reference #CCS 598 in the subject line of the email by June 12, 2015, to:
Human Resources Department
Email: email@example.com Fax: Not available. Please send by email only.